Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
India Post - The Difference Between Various Services
Can someone tell me the difference between following services?. In terms of exact delivery norms. I asked with local Post Master. He does not know. Clear information is not available anywhere.

1. Registered Parcel - Through Surface
  2. Registered Parcel - Through Air 
  3. Express Parcel 
  4. EMS Speed Post 
Only EMS speed post is through Air. rest all is through train and road.

EMS SPEED POST IS THERE premium service. rest all are normal services.
I did some research on India Post services. Here is a small report for the interested sellers. All shipping duration references are ex Mangaluru/Bengaluru

1. EMS Speed Post:

This is the costliest service of India Post. Market leader in domestic express courier industry. Originally designed for letters and documents. Deliveries to major cities usually happens in 2-3 days. Delivery status updation takes time once in a while. Delivery timing from Mangaluru/Bengaluru to major cities like Mumbai/Chennai/Hyderabad/Delhi/Kolkata is almost same as private couriers.

Customers get SMS notifications before delivery for free. No RTO charges. No volumetric weighting either. Customer support is pretty good these days.

One can get POD / Acknowledgement by paying Rs.10 extra. We have to just fill a letter with sender and receiver details.

Delivery Norms: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

[Image: 7DWRuhy.png]

2.Express Parcel:

This service was launched few years ago to cater Ecommerce market.  These parcels will be transmitted through air or any other fastest mean available. Bit slower than EMS Speed Post and much cheaper than Speed Post.
One can get POD / Acknowledgement by paying Rs.10 extra. We have to just fill a letter with sender and receiver details.

Delivery Norms: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

[Image: EjYsVWC.png]
3. Business Parcel:

This is a surface shipping service. Minimum weight is two kgs. Suitable for heavy weight shipments. 

[Image: Mb7KH3a.png]

4. Registered Parcel:

Most inexpensive shipping option one can get. First 500 Grams Rs.36. Subsequent Rs.16. Flat rate anywhere in India. Mangaluru to New Delhi is usually delivered in 6-7 days.

One can get POD / Acknowledgement by paying Rs.3 extra. We have to just fill a letter with sender and receiver details.

[Image: Eih4uSf.png]

Registered Parcel can also be sent through Air by paying Air delivery surcharges. Exact details regarding tariff can be found in PostInfo Android App.

If you face any delay or issues with shipment, just tweet them on @IndiaPostOffice, @PMGxxx (replace with your region) and @CPMGxxx (replace xxx with your state). Exact usernames can be found at India Post website. Alternatively you can call 1904 (toll-free). Govt of India has set a deadline of 24 hours to solve complaints. They definitely solve your issues. India Post is not quick and technologically efficient as private couriers say FedEx/Bluedart. Even though it does not contain any bells and whistles, it just works. When you consider the tariff of India Post's services, its perfectly VFM.

Please note that this is my personal opinion. You guys may have different opinion.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Sai Sanvish for this post:
  • KJain, KoolPal, Shripal
I tried to create a separate thread for India Post for International shipping. Can anyone guide on Airmail & tracking as well as documentary requirements & latest rates?

Thanks a lot!
If my memory is right, EMS Speed Post articles become USPS Priority Mail after entering USA. India Post Registered articles become USPS First Class. I maybe wrong though. Absolutely no idea about other countries as most of my international shipments (to/from relatives & friends) are usually sent/received on FedEx International Priority.

Consider speaking with @IndiaPostOffice on Twitter. Their business development team will contact you. You can get some information on EMS Speed Post Tariff page of India Post website and in PostInfo Android app.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sai Sanvish for this post:
  • KoolPal
Have updated Post #3 with additional details.
Does India Post will come and pickup from Home?What are the charges?

Any Contact person in Hyderabad?
India Post definitely picks up from home. All you need is an account with them. There are no charges IIRC if the pickup location is within certain distance from Post Office. Kindly speak with Post Master or Marketing Executive of your area for more information.